May 19, 2014

Hello! - Basic and Nice Ribbed Socks

Hi there. I'm n'ami, an addicted knitter from Japan but living in France for more then 10 years.
It's finally happened, I have a blog in English. It will be a notebook of my projects, the yarns and books I'll get, my work, etc., all about the knitting!

For the first post, I start with my latest finished object. It all began with the yarn I didn't know what to make with.
Here it is.
Dream in Color, Smooshy : Chinatown Apple


I bought it to make Pogona shawl of Stephen West, but I couldn't resist the temptation to knit this shawl with Madelinetosh Sock in Calligraphy (how can I?) that I purchased at the same time. This skein started its long sleep of hibernation.

I recently decided to wake it up, it's a shame to leave a Smooshy skein aside, isn't it? For this fingering yarn with a light color variation, I thought of socks with simple stitch to show it off. I set my heart on Basic Ribbed Socks and A Nice Ribbed Socks, both in 3x1 ribbing and free on Ravelry. I finally mixed two patterns and incorporated another recipe from a Japanese book.

It's fun to knit socks, they rapidly take shape, in 3D! And the yarn is lovely to work with. I have to say that it's not so soft despite of the fiber used - 100% merino - , but smooth, bouncy, perfect for making socks. I'm quite satisfied with the result, we can see the changing colorway.





The only snag is that you see two points at toe as they're grafted with kitchener stitch there. I've understood why toe-up socks were invented. I'll try this type next time!

Notes
Pattern: A Nice Ribbed Socks & Basic Ribbed Socks
Yarn: Dream in Color, Smooshy: Chinatown Apple
Needles: 2.5mm (US 1½) DPNs

I've just taken some pictures of another fo. I'll post them shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...